The ZIP format is still the most appropriate format to shrink any data. In this tutorial, we will show you how to create ZIP file on your Mac and Windows 10 computers.
It is wonderfully convenient to use it to create compressed archive files that anyone can open. Sending large files, amounts of data, or multiple folders – it’s very easy and space-saving with the help of ZIP files. The ZIP format is one of the most common data compression formats. This allows you to archive several related files or folders in a common folder.
A ZIP file is basically like a box in which you can put many different things. But before they get into the box, items are pressed together strongly. This means that things that are larger than the box itself fit in this “ZIP box.” And everyone can open this box and get things out. And if you want, you can even lock the box and protect it with a password. But, how to Zip a File? Just follow our step-by-step guide below we explained.
How to ZIP a file using Windows 10
The following procedure can be carried out with any files as well as with folders. You can also insert multiple folders into a ZIP file by selecting all of them beforehand and then following these steps:
- Right click on the desired folder.
- The context menu opens, in which you move the mouse over the option “Send to.”
- If you click on the “Compressed (zipped) folder,” it will be created. Depending on the size of the content, this can now take a few seconds.
- The ZIP file can now be found in the same path under the same name. The complete folder is in one file.
There is another option; you do not need to create any new folder for that. If you want to create a zip folder by selecting all of your files. Select all of your desired files. Click one of your selected files, click Send to, and click the same as the previous Compressed (zipped) folder.
Then, the ZIP file will be created in the same location and appears the title of the last file that was selected. Windows automatically offers you to rename the ZIP folder. For subsequent renaming, you can either double-click the ZIP folder title or right-click and ” Rename. “
Make a ZIP file on macOS
You also do not need any additional software to make a zip file for the macOS device. You can compress and zip all of your required data using MacOS itself as we have done before with Windows 10, 8, or 7. Here is the step by step again for you.
- At first, select all of the necessary files or the folder you want to create a zip.
- Now, click on the right button of your mouse to open the context menu.
- And then click on “Compress Selected Items.”
- Now, you will see the compressed ZIP appears in the same location.
With another click, you can see a video tutorial to make a zip on Mac. Here’s below,
Make encrypted ZIP file
If you have important data, and you want to hide or protect them from the eyes of others. Then, you can create an encrypted zip file with a password. You won’t be able to create that using only windows. You need software such as WinZip, WinRAR, or 7-Zip.
- At first, Download the “7-Zip” free software and install it on your computer.
- Mark all the files you want to create the ZIP archive.
- Click the right button on one of the marked files; you will see the context menu.
- When you move the mouse over the option “7-Zip” option, another menu will open.
- Now select the option “Add to archive …“. The 7-Zip main window will open.
- In the “Archive Format” option, select the compression format you want to make. If you’re going to keep your file as small as possible, the “7z” format is recommended. Or, you can select the “Zip” format as well.
- And now, you have to enter a password under the “Encryption” option, as we marked in the photo.
- Then, you just need to click “OK,” you will see the zip file in the same location.
As always, you will see the zip file in the same location as the .ZIP or .7z extension.
Make encrypted .ZIP on macOS
To protect the archives folder with a password, you have to do the following steps. Here what this will look like from the command line, the entire “Confidential” folder in the “users / Documents” directory is compressed and password-protected, and the password-protected Zip is placed on the user’s desktop for easy access:
- Open the Terminal program on your Mac.
- Then enter the following command:
$ zip -er ~ / Desktop / encrypted.zip ~ / Documents / Confidential /
Add: ~ / Documents / Confidential / (deflated 13%)
The password will not display there. This is a conventional system for the terminal.
Note: The -er flag will be use for a folder with multiple files. Adding r means that zip compresses all files in the folder recursively and protects them with a password.
Hope this tutorial helps you to answer on how to create a zip file using your any laptop, desktop or a macOS computer. We have published a lot of how-to articles in our site, will help you on working.